We are pleased to announce that the May/June 2014 issue of the leading international education association NAFSA's magazine International Educator, features a cover story on the collaborative online international learning field: New Windows on the World (click title to access PDF from NAFSA website). The article includes details on the emerging COIL program's at SUNY Oswego, Purchase College, and Empire State College, as well as comments from the COIL Center's Director Jon Rubin, SUNY's Chancellor Nancy Zimpher, SUNY Oswego's Provost Lorrie Clemo and Professor Susan Coultrap-McQuin and her teaching partner in Lebanon, Ina Issa and some of their students.
6th COIL Conference: Coming Together to Reimagine Education
We were pleased to welcome nearly 250 faculty, staff, and administrators from 125 institutions in 18 countries to the SUNY Global Center in Manhattan, March 20 -21st, 2014. Attendees gathered for a series of plenary and breakout sessions, as well as networking opportunities framed around this year’s conference theme: Reimagining Education: Can Collaborative Online International Learning Be Normalized?
Highlights of this years’ conference included:
- Three different pre-conference workshops
- A Keynote address from Elmer Poe, Assistant Vice-Chancellor for
- Emerging Academic Initiatives at East Carolina University
- Opening Plenary Panel with representatives from five institutions sharing their experience in normalizing COIL activities on their campus
- A Special Normalization Track highlighting such efforts at SUNY campuses, other American campuses, and at invited International Institutions
- Our first discipline specific conference track: Globalizing Teacher Education through COIL
- Remarks from Patti McGill Peterson, Presidential Advisor, Global Initiatives, Internationalization and Global Engagement at the American Council on Education (ACE)
- Presentation of the inaugural Internationalization through Technology Awards from the COIL Center and ACE through the sponsorship of Asahi Net International
We welcome you to access conference resources via the Conference Agenda Page. Here you will find the PowerPoint and other presentations given at the conference in the order in which they took place at the event. A video archive of all other conference sessions will be posted by the end of April.
SEE YOU AT THE 2015 COIL Conference!
ACE, SUNY COIL Announce Second Round of Internationalization Technology Awards
ACE and the State University of New York Collaborative Online International Learning SUNY COIL Center today announced the winners of an inaugural internationalization online learning award for the Advancing Internationalization Through Collaborative Online International Learning awards, which recognize emerging initiatives, are the second set of honors to be bestowed by ACE and SUNY this month as part of an Asahi Net International (ANI)-sponsored program.
The following winners and their Provosts were honored at SUNY’s 6th annual Collaborative Online International Learning Conference in New York City.
- Xavier University (OH) Provost Scott A. Chadwick,
- Glenville State College (WV) Provost and Chief Academic Officer John M. Peek, and
- Fayetteville State (NC) University Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Jon M. Young
The awards luncheon also included remarks from:
- Nancy L. Zimpher, Chancellor, The State University of New York
- Patti McGill Peterson, Presidential Advisor for Global Initiatives, American Council on Education